Saturday, October 10, 2009

I'll take that as a compliment

So, when people notice you have lost weight, most of them attempt to make a positive comment. "You look fantastic." "Wow!" "Where did your conjoined twin go?" But sometimes, even niceties can go awry.

I think the weirdest compliment I have ever received came from my mother. After dropping nearly 20 pounds, my mother and I had the following face-to-face exchange:

Mom: "How's your diet going?"
Me: "Pretty well. I have lost about 20 pounds."
Mom: "Really?"
Me: "Yes."
Mom (after looking more closely): "Oh, yeah. I can see it. Your head looks smaller."

Now I will admit it. Twenty pounds off 250 is not a lot. And, to be honest, I have always had a large head. When I was born, my head was this size. I just grew into over the years. The size of my melon has been a source of amusement to my family for many years. But the thing is, she was being serious. She was not trying to bust my chops. It was just the first thing that came to her mind.

What is the weirdest compliment you have ever received? Who gave it to you and how did you take it?

No comments:

Post a Comment